About Me

My photo
My husband tells me I am a makebate. So, what's wrong with that? I love to write. I have 2 great kids and 1 grandson. I'd love to say I am "retired" but really, who retires from life? Shoot me a question, comment, rant or rave. They are all welcome here. Love dogs, my family, and most of all, debate. Pro NRA, conservative and a right wing lady.

Friday, July 12, 2013

White Russians, Black Irish, Creepy White Ass Cracker

I swore to myself that I would not touch the race card with a ten foot pole!  But, today I read that CNN  has taken to referring to George Zimmerman as a "white Hispanic".  With that said, the flood gates have opened and all bets are off.

A few weeks ago, I blogged about the colors in a crayon box.  Being raised by socially liberal, Democratic parents, colors were for drawing.  We did not cast labels on human beings.  A person was judged by the "...context of their character..."(MLK's famous speech) and that was it. 

Justice is blind?  Really?  It appears that someone paid for Ms. Justice to get Lasik surgery, because she seems to be very, very keen on the color of defendants lately.  Maybe CNN and heavy breather Chris Matthews took up a collection for blind as a bat, Ms. Justice.

I was very shocked to learn that whites can also be referred to as "creepy white ass crackers".  Maybe Nabisco can produce a line of these tasty little snacks.  The racially charged slang's that are pummeled at whites, Caucasians, homeys, crackers, etc... seem to bounce right off them.  They are, after all, just words.  What did mom & dad teach us?  "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

I'm not implying that slavery was not a wretched, horrible part of history.  BUT, so was the extermination of the Jews under Hitler, the genocide performed by Pol Pot, the massacres of the Tutsi and Hutus, the mass exodus of running, killing and forcing the Americas FIRST people off their lands and onto to barren reservations, straight towards poverty, alcoholism and oblivion.... (the Native American Indian).  So, thus far, in all those evil encrusted acts, one thing is true and accurate.  There was a rainbow of colors being slaughtered.

"I was born and raised a poor black child"...the famous one liner from Steve Martin's, "The Jerk" was funny when the movie debuted, and after watching it in reruns, it's still funny.  But, how many will see it as a heavy duty, subliminal racist sling? 

I was born a white girl in southern California.  I knew there were different shades of colors, but never paid attention to it.  I had and still have friends of all shapes, sizes, colors and religious backgrounds.  I don't look at people through rose colored glasses.  I see just fine with the specs I have on.  Perhaps, as a white woman, I was the only one paying attention to MLK when he gave his famous speech on context of character.

So, here we are, on the cusp of yet another racially charged case of black vs.  creepy white ass cracker.  The main problem with this is that George Zimmerman is a Hispanic male.  The media has played the trial, ad nausea,  even "pausing" for commercials.  Interestingly enough, I've yet to see an ad from Keebler Cookies for creepy white ass crackers. 

We've heard the experts analyzing the case from every angle.  What  if, what if, what if?  In the long run, all I've seen and heard is evidence that supports Zimmerman's report that he was assaulted and battered by Martin, and that Zimmerman acted in self defense.  Was Zimmerman a bit of a cop wanna-be?  Probably?  Could he have been a bit over zealous in his neighborhood watch routine?  Yes.  But... this trial isn't about that.  It's a case of self defense.
 
We read in the headlines how the Sanford P.D. and the state of Florida are gearing up for possible riots when the verdict is announced.  Suddenly, I am looking through my car window, caught in heavy rush hour traffic, on the Hollywood Freeway, after leaving work early. No one in their mind wanted to be caught in the mid-Wilshire district after those verdicts were read - Rodney King. 

What about the poor fellow, Reginald Denny, who on April 29, 1992,  was minding his own business, driving a truck through south central L.A. on Normandie when: 

..."his rig crossed Florence, a group of rioters enraged over the Rodney King verdict rushed toward him, pulled him out of the cab and beat him to within an inch of his life. The attack ended when Damian Monroe Williams took a cinderblock and bashed Denny's skull, fracturing it in 91 places and causing severe brain damage. "Read more: http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/la_riot/article/0,28804,1614117_1614084_1614511,00.html #ixzz2YqMw7yOS

What does this story say?  Does our system of justice allow for riots if groups feel slighted when things don't go as they want?  Are we really a society that needs to prepare for riots if a "white Hispanic" is found not guilty of second degree murder of a "hoodied" black kid?    Is this what Martin Luther King and  civil rights founding leader Medgar Evans were about?  History  would say no.  The 1963 assassination of Evans, outside his house, in front of his family was key in churning the hatred of blacks and white.  Although it took almost 30 years for justice to prevail,  Byron de la Beckwith was caught, tried,  found guilty, and ultimately died in prison.  Justice was served.  The former KKK member is probably enjoying some sauna time in hell. 

So, why, if a white jury can find Beckwith guilty of a racially charged murder, in the deep south of 1963 -  why can't we have the faith to look towards JUSTICE and rely upon her to do the same in 2013? 

No comments:

Post a Comment