About Me

My photo
My husband tells me I am a makebate. So, what's wrong with that? I love to write. I have 2 great kids and 1 grandson. I'd love to say I am "retired" but really, who retires from life? Shoot me a question, comment, rant or rave. They are all welcome here. Love dogs, my family, and most of all, debate. Pro NRA, conservative and a right wing lady.

Monday, December 17, 2012

NEWTOWN, CT - GOD was there, but so was mental illness.

I suspect that no matter what I write in this entry, there will be a line drawn in the sand.  Some readers will be on the side of GOD. God absolute.  The other side will be in defense of gun control.  Defiant, adamant gun control.  Somewhere in the middle will be those who want to bring awareness to mental health and how it reaches out to every vein of society.

Ask anyone on the street if they know someone who has been affected by mental illness, and chances are, those brave enough to discuss it, will answer with an astounding YES.  The mere mention of mental illness seems to give some people pause, while others recoil.  Sadly, most Americans would rather look at other factors, such as gun control or ultra-violent videos games as plausible reasons for these heinous acts of violence, rather than entertain the other, much more documented case of mental illness.

The phrase, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" is accurate.  So, now you are probably drawing a line in the sand.  "Oh she's one of those people".  A crazy, gun enthusiast.  Without even knowing this author, I've been branded a gun lover.  I don't love guns, so much as I believe in the 2nd amendment.  I do not love violence.  I abhor it, just as most Americans do.

I am willing to step back and look at all angles of this most recent tragedy.  Just earlier in the week, a lone gunman, someone with mental health issues, opened fire in a crowded mall in Oregon.  That gunman killed 2 innocents, along with himself.  On December 14, 2012, the unthinkable happened, and a young man with mental health issues, decided that he'd go to Sandy Hook Elementary, and open fire.  The tragedy that blasted across the news waves was horrific, mind numbing, nauseating and heart wrenching.

People process their grief in multiple ways:  Guns, mental illness, violence in video games.  Somewhere the shooter disconnects with reality, and often times hell breaks lose.  Mass murderers do not use only guns.  History shows that if someone is hell bent on committing a crime of violence, they're going to do it by whatever means available. Guns, knives, cars, bombs, etc etc. 

Hollywood must also take a certain bit of responsibility in the violence showed on the silver screen.  This is not to imply that every single violent film in Hollywood is going to drive someone who is manic, or schizophrenic to commit an act of violence. But, it plants the seeds.  So are the numerous video games which turn intelligent youth into almost catatonic zombies, after 4 hours of straight playing.

No one takes responsibility.  Pass the buck.

Someone who was at Sandy Hook School on December 14, 2012 was GOD.  He was there.  He gathered those tiny children and carried them to heaven.  He gave teachers strength and a sense of bravery, as they protected their school children from harm.  Just as there is good in this world, there is also evil; otherwise referred to as free will.  GOD combats Evil every day.  We are mere mortals who might not see it, but it's there still.

GOD doesn't live in schools much.  You will most likely find him in Churches or synagogues.  He is also present in the souls of those small children.  But we, the American people, have gone to great lengths to make sure that GOD, Christmas Trees, Menorahs, or any type of religious symbol are absent from public view, or on public land.  We've washed GOD right out of our every day lives.  Then we ask, at time of troubles, where was GOD?  Incredulous!

I pray for those wee souls.  I pray for their parents, and for the teachers who stood in the line of fire.  I pray for Adam and his mother, who he savagely murdered.  I pray for those who erase GOD from public view, for those battling mental illness, and for children who are being taken over by the growing displays of violence at every street corner, or turn of the channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment